“this grunge is too hard,” said goldilocks. then she tried the soft grunge. “this grunge is just right.”
I forgot the word “reindeer” today so I described them as “Christmas llamas” why
HLLEP THE HALLOWEEN COSTUMEM FLYER CAME IN THE MAIL
rirP TBUMLR USER UWU SHE DIED FROM LAUGHG
when people use a reaction image that is so ridiculous you can’t tell what emotion they’re actually trying to express
The image is meant to portray a sense of doom, of futility, of helplessness. They are apples meant to be crushed into cider, but they are also babies, scarcely aware of the horrible fate that awaits them. They signify the innocence of us all in the face of a fate we cannot predict.
I really want to watch this movie let’s see if it’s on netflix
yes this is exactly what I wanted
Autism Speaks is the most well-known charity autism charity. Just because they have the most media coverage and celebrity support does not mean they are a good organization.
- Autism Speaks does not have a single autistic member on their board.
- Autism Speaks only spends 4% of their budget on “family services”.
- The majority of Autism Speaks’ money goes toward research, and the majority of that research is to find a way to rid the world of autism, and thus, autistics.
- Autism Speaks produces advertisments, small films, etc. about what a burden autistic people are to society.
- Autism Speaks was responsible for “Autism Every Day”, which featured a member of their board talking about contemplating murder-suicide of her daughter in front of her daughter. This has now be removed from Autism Speaks’ Youtube channel but can still be found elsewhere.
- Autism Speaks is responsible for the atrocity known as “I am Autism”, a short film comparing autism to cancer, AIDS, and blaming autism as the reason why marriages break up.
In short, Autism Speaks makes it much harder for those of us who have autism to be taken seriously. Autism is considered to be a child’s disease (not that it’s even actually a disease at all), and you will often hear people say “where are all the adult autistics?” Well, we’re right here in front of you. We may have been misdiagnosed with learning disorders, mental retardation and other mental illnesses when the diagnoses of autism, PDD-NOS and Asperger’s weren’t as precise (or even existent) as they are now. We vary in where we fall on the spectrum. Don’t make assumptions about us because we can use a computer.
For further reading, here are a few resources about Autism Speaks:
Editing the original post so that I can include which Autism related charities to support. Let me say that besides the first one, all of them are very parent-oriented organizations, meaning that adult autistics may have issues with them. These are ones that I have either heard recommended highly by autistic parents (meaning autistic people who are parents, not “autism parents”) or that I’ve personally interacted with. None of them are perfect, but these are far better places to donate your money if you’re looking for a charity to support.
The ARC (this is not autism specific, but our local one has a couple of autism-specific events, so was worth including).
Edited 9/13/2012 to include this link, which is a news segment about a mother whose job offer with Autism Speaks was rescinded after she asked for accommodations in regards to caring for her autistic son. She later resolved the issue with childcare, but they rescinded their offer anyhow.
every once in a while i reblog this
I really don’t get people that are mean to their server at a restaurant
From the kitchen to your table that person has control over your food
Why would you want to anger someone with that kind of power